April 29, 2010

I Read!

I started reading at a very young age, the first "books" I've ever read is probably the free fairytale pamphlets you get when you buy a can of milk (yung sa Nestle Nido noon, manipis lang siya). Once I learned my ABC's, after dinner, my Dad would tell me to read it to him and he would simply correct me if I get some words wrong. Most of the time, I did'nt have a clue what they were about, English kasi, eh grade one palang yata ako noon.

I believe what really got me into reading is the Archie's Comic Digests. I'd read them during summer vacations from grade school, usually before I go to bed. That's what probably triggered my habit of reading books before bedtime.

Then came the heavier children's books my sisters bought me, the first one was "The Lion King", then came "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", tapos "A Bug's Life" (puro Disney ah?), hanggang sa a few years later, eh mapunta na sa young-adult na Hardy Boys, meron akong Omnibus ng first 3 books nun. Kasabay ng hardy Boys na-introduce sakin ang Harry Potter, mga year 2000-2001 ng mabasa ko yung book 1, hanggang sa natapos ko ang book seven a month ago within 3 days. Oh ha! :D

Sumunod-sunod ko na ring nabasa ang ilang classics such "The Secret Garden", "Dracula", "The Hound of the Baskervilles", at ang "Around the World in 80 Days" and "2000 Leagues Under the Sea" na hindi ko natapos. Haha.

And that's when I really got hooked. I don't know. There's something very different about reading books which feel sort of "more personal" than watching a movie or tv show. Parang, dama mo rin lahat ng hirap nung author sa pagsulat niya nung kuwento. Immersed ka sa lahat ng mga pangyayari sa istorya. I like the feeling of being in a different place and time everytime I read a new book. Or even an old one, there's nothing wrong with revisiting the places you've been in naman diba?

Plus, I began the habit of reading in public transportations na rin. Si Nitta Sayuri ng "Memoirs of a Geisha" ang kasama ko nung nag-aapply ako ng passport. Dalawang "tuesdays people" ng "Tuesdays With Morrie" ang kakuwentuhan ko tuwing bumabyahe ako papunta sa part-time job ko last-year. Nakilala ko rin sina Lestat at Louis, si James Patterson, si Elie Wiesel, sina Charlie at Algernon,  at marami pang interesting personalities in my readings.

Right now, I'm reading "Stiff", a book about the interesting "life" that human cadavers go through, kakatapos ko rin lang ng "The Perks of Being a Wallflower, at "Night" na first part ng "Night Trilogy" ni Elie Wiesel.

I wish I could share to you some of my insights about these books, but the drive to do so is not enough for me to actually do it right now. I guess I'll be keeping them to myself for a while, only until sipagin akong mag-sulat at mag-bigay ng opinion. Hehe.

For now, I hope you can go through some of the books I mentioned and read one or some of them and then, perhaps, you might like to share your own views and opinions based on what you've read.

Enjoy Reading :D

(originally from "My Library" page which has been deleted)

No comments: