March 19, 2010

No worries… I hope

I don't know if it was due to the stress of the day, my memory acting up on me, or I just had a bout of extreme stupidity :( It turns out that K.pneumoniae and E. cloacae do resemble each other in terms of colonial growth so there was really nothing to fuss about. Hehehe. I just had to make sure whether my bacteria is motile or non-motile because that is the only differential test between the two species I can do in our lab.

Here's a picture of the biochem tests I interpreted yesterday which I wasn't able to include in my last, hurried post:

[caption id="attachment_141" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="from left: TSI, SIM, SCA, LIA"]Clinical Bacteriology[/caption]

So anyways, when I got to school this morning I checked my SIM right away and after much scrutinizing, I realized it did become hazy as compared to the original clarity of an uninoculated SIM tube. I was focusing too much on the middle of the tube that I forgot to look at the over-all transparency of the medium.

So after yester-night's confusion, I was finally able to conclude that my final unknown bacteria in Clinical Bacteriology is indeed Enterobacter cloacae :D Whew... I just hope tama nga ako... toink!

No comments: